Nature Coast Banner

Sports Blog

• #TBT Sports Blog: Chicago Cubs Fan Steve Bartman
    Posted by MIKE on 10/19/2017 at 1:21 PM

Today’s #TBT sports blog painfully recalls the Windy City’s most infamous sports personality – who just happens to be a baseball fan. On October 14, 2003, a lifelong Chicago Cubs fan named Steve Bartman unwittingly found himself in the national … Continue reading → The […]

• Friday the 13th Sports Funny: Sudden Death Overtime
    Posted by MIKE on 10/13/2017 at 2:07 PM

Today’s Friday the 13th Sports Funny – Sudden Death Overtime – should prod revelers to get into the spirit of this month’s Halloween celebration. The ominous sounding sports expression – Sudden Death Overtime – is that designated period of time … Continue […]

• #TBT Sports Blog: Mr. October Reggie Jackson
    Posted by MIKE on 10/12/2017 at 12:30 PM

It’s only fitting that Major League Baseball’s Mr. October Reggie Jackson leads off today’s #TBT sports blog. This Baseball Hall of Fame slugger wore the colorful uniform of the Oakland A’s and the traditional pinstripes of the New York Yankees. … Continue reading […]

• 2 Cent Tuesday: The Worst Mascot in Sports
    Posted by MIKE on 10/10/2017 at 2:47 PM

Today’s 2 Cent Tuesday sports blog states the obvious. The post reveals my choice for the undisputed worst mascot in sports. Sure, I know my pick will ignite a furor of controversy. Zealots across the globe will vow retribution for … Continue reading → The post 2 Cent Tuesday: The […]

• #TBT Sports Blog: NCAA Football’s Galloping Ghost Red Grange
    Posted by MIKE on 10/05/2017 at 4:27 PM

Today’s #TBT Sports Blog features Red Grange – one of NCAA football’s greatest players of all time. My post recalls Grange – an incomparable college football player with the unforgettable nickname – The Galloping Ghost. In 2008, ESPN.com called Red … Continue […]

• International Podcast Day: Celebrating The Sports Bra! Yup!
    Posted by MIKE on 09/30/2017 at 1:29 PM

To celebrate International Podcast Day, I’m happy to share my most popular podcast ever. It’s available on iTunes and Stitcher Radio. The monologue is simply named The Sports Bra. That’s right – The Sports Bra – that essential piece of … Continue reading → […]

• #TBT Sports Blog: Major League Baseball’s Shoeless Joe Jackson
    Posted by MIKE on 09/28/2017 at 2:00 PM

Way back in 1906, a heckling fan at an amateur baseball game in Anderson, SC coined the nickname Shoeless. It happened as Joe Jackson ran to third base while only wearing his socks. Joe Jackson's Shoeless nickname is not the only thing for which this 12-year Major League Baseball star is […]

• #TBT Sports Blog: R.I.P. Boxing’s Raging Bull Jake La Motta
    Posted by MIKE on 09/21/2017 at 1:00 PM

Today’s #TBT sports blog remembers boxing’s legendary Raging Bull – Jake LaMotta – who passed away this week at age 95. Most fighters would think twice before squaring off in the ring against an angry bull of a guy. But, … Continue reading → The post #TBT Sports […]

• Friday Sports Funny: Heavyweight Division in Gymnastics
    Posted by MIKE on 09/15/2017 at 1:00 PM

The Olympic sport of gymnastics has always confused me. I’m perplexed as to why the sport of gymnastics discriminates against bigger boned bodies. Yes, I’m lamenting why larger ladies and girthier guys who would like to wear leotards, too, are getting shafted. If boxing and wrestling […]

• #TBT Sports Blog: Two-Time Heisman Trophy Winner Archie Griffin
    Posted by MIKE on 09/14/2017 at 10:00 AM

College football’s only two-time Heisman Trophy winner, Archie Griffin, effortlessly rushes into today’s #TBT sports blog. A former standout for the Ohio State University Buckeyes, Archie Griffin led the Big Ten in rushing for three consecutive seasons. The 1974 and … Continue […]

• FREE Sports Comic Book on the “Beautiful Game” of Soccer
    Posted by MIKE on 09/10/2017 at 10:34 AM

Check out this FREE sports comic book on the “Beautiful Game” of soccer. Known as football throughout the non-American sports universe, soccer boasts its own unique language, eccentric expressions and unparalleled personalities. Soccer is the world’s most popular sport by … […]

• Friday Sports Funny: Keep Politics Out of Sports
    Posted by MIKE on 09/08/2017 at 10:00 AM

Today’s Friday Sports Funny dusts off one of my original MIKE on Sports! iTunes podcasts. It’s titled: Keep Politics Out of Sports! You see. I’m a sports guy, not a political pundit. I’m also a firm believer that it’s our … Continue reading → The post […]

• #TBT Sports Blog: 1927 New York Yankees’ Murderers’ Row
    Posted by MIKE on 09/07/2017 at 1:51 PM

Today’s #TBT sports blog looks back at the 1927 New York Yankees championship team known as baseball’s Murderers’ Row. Baseball historians have called the legendary 1927 Yankees the best Major League Baseball team ever. Yet, back in the 1920s, fans, … Continue reading […]

• Labor Day: No Rest for Refs, Officials & Umpires
    Posted by MIKE on 09/04/2017 at 11:45 AM

Labor Day is traditionally a national day of rest for American workers. But, refs, umpires and hard working sports officials who oversee all the action on the playing field, basketball court, hockey ice, soccer pitch, etc. never seem to get … Continue reading → The post Labor Day: No […]

• #TBT Sports Blog: R.I.P. Former Villanova Coach Rollie Massimino
    Posted by MIKE on 08/31/2017 at 1:35 PM

Today’s #TBT sports blog honors legendary Villanova basketball coach Rollie Massimino who passed away yesterday at age 82. Still actively coaching at NAIA school Keiser University in West Palm Beach, FL, the “basketball lifer” is best remembered for guiding the … Continue […]

• 2 Cent Tuesday: Detroit Lions’ Matthew Stafford’s $135 Million Contract Extension
    Posted by MIKE on 08/29/2017 at 6:04 PM

Today’s 2 Cent Tuesday sports blog questions the enormity – and absurdity – of Matthew Stafford’s whopping five-year $135 million contract extension with the Detroit Lions. Wow, a $135 million contract extension! That’s a lot of jack for an NFL … Continue […]

• #TBT Sports Blog: Former FIFA & MLS Star Thierry Henry
    Posted by MIKE on 08/24/2017 at 1:36 PM

Today’s #TBT sports blog recalls the lauded former MLS All-Star and once FIFA great and French World Cup champion Thierry Henry Thierry Henry’s breakaway speed, splendid soccer skill and passion for life (popularized by Renault Clio television commercials in Europe) … Continue […]

• Friday Sports Funny: Pa-role Models in Sports
    Posted by MIKE on 08/18/2017 at 1:00 PM

The subject of unwritten rules in sports will always stoke the embers of animated discussions among diehard sports fans. Some fans will immediately laud unwritten rules as time honored traditions that compliment the black and white regulations permanently etched in NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and FIFA rule […]

• #TBT Sports Blog: Chicago Cubs’ Mordecai Three Finger Brown
    Posted by MIKE on 08/17/2017 at 11:00 AM

Today’s #TBT sports blog recalls Mordecai “Three Finger” Brown of the Chicago Cubs. He’s one of the greatest pitchers in Major League Baseball history. In the book Three Finger:The Mordecai Brown Story, Hall of Fame Chicago Cubs pitcher Ferguson Jenkins … Continue […]

• 2 Cent Tuesday: Fighting Father Time in Sports
    Posted by MIKE on 08/15/2017 at 1:00 PM

His stats are impressive. From time immemorial, his record remains unblemished. And, quietly, he’s posted an unrivaled unbeaten record in every sport. Though many athletes, including Hall of Famers, have risen to challenge him, no one has ever emerged victoriously. Father Time stands […]

© 8203 Hernando Post. All rights reserved. XHTML / CSS Valid.
Proudly designed by Hernando Post Admin.